Today the drawing for the first parts of PEARL are ready for production (thanks, Ernst!). The DEMO workshop will now procede with the production of FINAL parts of PEARL, while they’re finishing off the test detector in the mean time. The drawings (picture) are of the alignable/adjustable feet that are placed on the third concrete plate. On top of these feet, the ‘flightpath’ will be placed, a 10ton steel box that contains most of the optics of the instrument (alu vacuum housing, monochromator, diaphragms and a location for the collimator).
Another drawing is of the alu vacuum housing in the beamstop (after the monochromator).
About this blogDiffraction is a technique to determine the atomic structure of materials very accurately. Most scientists use X-ray diffraction (XRD) for this, but hydrogen and neighbours in the periodic table of Mendeleev are sometimes hard to find or distinguish. Neutron diffraction can do precisely that! Moreover, magnetic structures can be revealed and atoms can be highlighted or masked by isotope substitution.
Since neutrons are difficult to generate, such a diffractometer is not avaible within 500km, so the Reactor Institute Delft (TU Delft) has taken up the initiative to provide such an instrument to Dutch users.
This blog is about the progress of the design and building of PEARL: the Dutch neutron (powder) diffractometer.
Tagsbeamline chemistry components crystals cu design detector detector diffraction first production drawings design ge germanium monochromator neutron diffraction ill isis location national facility neutron neutron diffraction diffractometer ready 2013 npm2 physics planning project reactor reflectometer report ranking instruments Oyster RID Netherlands neutron users rog rrr sapphire PEARL diffractometer neutron fast-neutrons gammas scattering scintillator shopping team tests tnw tudelft
Search in PEARL news
- TOF diffraction in reciprocal space - 20,006 views
- Institute colloquium on 12/May/2011 15h - 18,198 views
- Placement of neutron diffractometer - 17,054 views
- testing detectors… - 16,635 views
- First components are in. - 16,378 views
- first attempts in the mechanical design detector - 15,238 views
- Institute wide co-operation for the development project - 15,057 views
- Shopping components - 14,805 views
- radiation shielding progress - 14,777 views
- NICE results detector tests!! - 14,709 views