PEARL will have a small OxfordInstruments cryostat available from day-1 of operation. It’s expensive to run the cryostat (consumption of He) and a CCR is to be ordered soon. Besides that, sample environment will grow gradually as the instrument is being used over the years. The instrument allows for a 400mm radius sample environment.
About this blogDiffraction is a technique to determine the atomic structure of materials very accurately. Most scientists use X-ray diffraction (XRD) for this, but hydrogen and neighbours in the periodic table of Mendeleev are sometimes hard to find or distinguish. Neutron diffraction can do precisely that! Moreover, magnetic structures can be revealed and atoms can be highlighted or masked by isotope substitution.
Since neutrons are difficult to generate, such a diffractometer is not avaible within 500km, so the Reactor Institute Delft (TU Delft) has taken up the initiative to provide such an instrument to Dutch users.
This blog is about the progress of the design and building of PEARL: the Dutch neutron (powder) diffractometer.
Tagsbeamline chemistry components crystals cu design detector detector diffraction first production drawings design ge germanium monochromator neutron diffraction ill isis location national facility neutron neutron diffraction diffractometer ready 2013 npm2 physics planning project reactor reflectometer report ranking instruments Oyster RID Netherlands neutron users rog rrr sapphire PEARL diffractometer neutron fast-neutrons gammas scattering scintillator shopping team tests tnw tudelft
Search in PEARL news
- TOF diffraction in reciprocal space - 20,057 views
- Institute colloquium on 12/May/2011 15h - 18,214 views
- Placement of neutron diffractometer - 17,076 views
- testing detectors… - 16,655 views
- First components are in. - 16,394 views
- first attempts in the mechanical design detector - 15,248 views
- Institute wide co-operation for the development project - 15,068 views
- Shopping components - 14,813 views
- radiation shielding progress - 14,791 views
- NICE results detector tests!! - 14,715 views